Schools Los Angeles Students Deserve (SLASD) General Assembly
Thursday, May 21, 2015
St. Marks Lutheran Church
3651 South Vermont Ave,
Los Angeles, CA 90007
(2 blocks north of the Expo line's Vermont station)
Final General Assembly of the school year. This year we have accomplished so much!
- Parent Leadership Institutes provided space for parents from across the city to strategize about how to make changes in their children's schools
- SLASD-GC parents exposed conditions at schools across LAUSD through participating in UTLA's Parent Caravan
- In multi-day Youth Leadership Institutes, students discussed systemic oppression and resistance and built cross-school strategies
- Students developed a social media campaign to spread awareness of issues at their schools
- On their campuses, students took action to educate their peers about the Black Lives Matter movement
- Students gathered over 1,200 petitions to demand changes in their schools and delivered these to the School Board
- We supported the fight for Ethnic Studies, and urged the School Board to fund new teaching positions to cover these new courses
- Parents and students spoke at rallies across the city in support of the campaign for the Schools LA Students Deserve
- In meetings with School Board members Zimmer, Kayser, and McKenna, we moved towards a School Board resolution
- Overall, our campaign created more pressure on LAUSD to sign a good contract with UTLA!
At our General Assembly, we'll be assessing our work this year, and planning for our work over the Summer and next Fall to hit the ground running!
Please join us!