First published on Schools Matter on April 06, 2016
"The lowest-performing, based on test scores, is the large Green Dot chain." — Los Angeles Times
Beleaguered Green Dot schools have dealt with charges of racism, embezzlement, poor performance, and even cheating. Green Dot Founder Steve Barr created a mythology about his corporate charters that persists even today. Barr photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/kk/
CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.
Corporate profiteer Steve Barr is in the news again. Now he is mulling a run at Los Angeles Mayor. Barr calls himself an "educational innovator" despite having no background in either education or pedagogy. While his attempts to "turn around schools" have been epic failures in New Orleans and Los Angeles, his Green Dot Corporate Charter Chain is frequently held up as a measure of his so-called success. Except they're anything but successful.
Green Dot Corporate Charter Schools hold the dubious record of NINE of the lowest fifty average SAT scores in Los Angeles County for 2015. The billionaire backed charter chain, founded by corporate executive Barr and run by hedge fund manager Marco Petruzzi, group of SAT bottom dwellers leads all other charter chains in comprising 18% of the fifty worst. These schools were (lower numbers are worst performing):
- 4. Animo Locke Charter High School #1 (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1033
- 12. Animo Watts Charter High (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1092
- 14. Animo Locke Charter High School #2 (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1104
- 16. Alain Leroy Locke High (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1107
- 19. Animo Ralph Bunche High (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1117
- 25. Animo Locke Technology High (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1129
- 26. Animo Oscar De La Hoya Charter High (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1129
- 34. Animo Jackie Robinson High (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1150
- 50. Animo South Los Angeles Charter (Los Angeles): SAT Composite 1180
The privately managed charter chain's marketing slogan is "…all students graduate prepared for college, leadership and life." These dismal SAT scores would seem to indicate otherwise. For context 1500 is considered the minimum threshold for college readiness, while 2052 was the composite average for Freshmen accepted into UCLA in 2013.
Barr has never been able to get his own house together at his lucrative charter chain. Why would we trust him meddling with our public schools?
(Source: LATimes accessed 20160210)